Academic Integrity / Cheating

Registrar and Academic Success

The UNC Asheville Catalog gives faculty responsibility for taking disciplinary action for academic dishonesty committed in their own classes; students have the right to appeal those actions through the Faculty Conciliator and Academic Appeals Board process.

If you take disciplinary action for a case of academic dishonesty in your classes, please notify the student in writing, then submit a record of your action using the Academic Integrity form.

The Academic Success Center (ASC) takes no additional action if the incident is a student’s first reported case. If ASC has documented multiple incidents, additional disciplinary action can be sanctioned by the Provost’s Office.

Benefits / Retirement

Human Resources

The Office of Human Resources is the point of contact for inquiries about medical and dental coverage, full retirement, tuition programs and disability for all faculty and staff.

Questions regarding the Phased Retirement Program for faculty should be directed to Angie Irvin in Academic Affairs at 828-251-6471.

Community Safety

Public Safety

UNCA Public Safety provides emergency response, assistance with personal threats, security escorts, lost and found, parking and transportation services, and assistance with law enforcement.

In an emergency, dial 911 or contact University Police at 828-251-6710.

Disability Accommodations for Students

Office of Academic Accessibility

You can contact the Office of Academic Accessibility directly or students can complete and online student application on the website:

Academic Accessibility also assists with accessibility for events and course materials.
For pregnancy-related accommodations, please contact the Title IX Coordinator (see Gender-based misconduct involving students, below, for contact information).

Discrimination involving students or employees (includes hostile work environment) and Gender-based misconduct involving employees

Human Resources and IX Coordinator

UNC Asheville prohibits all forms of discrimination and discriminatory harassment based on race, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, gender and other protected categories. All policies are on HR’s website.

UNC Asheville employees cannot have any instructional, research, administrative or other responsibility or authority over an enrolled student with whom she or he has an amorous relationship or to whom he or she is related by blood, law or marriage.

Faculty, research officer and staff responsibilities:

All have a duty to report discrimination, harassment and related misconduct toward students toTitle IX. (For gender-based misconduct involving students, see below.)

The University asks all faculty, research officers and staff to report prohibited conduct involving employees or third parties to Human Resources or Title IX.

All who have supervisory responsibility are required to report prohibited conduct involving anyone at UNCA to HR, and are responsible for acting to prevent discrimination and harassment, including responding promptly and thoroughly to these types of claims.

Gender-Based Misconduct Involving Students (includes sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating/domestic violence, stalking)

Title IX Office

Inform the student that you have a responsibility to report what they’ve shared Title IX Office; the Title IX Coordinator will contact the student with resources and information. It is the student’s choice whether to participate in an investigation, if one occurs.

Provide information about UNC Asheville’s resources from the Title IX website.

Gender-Non-Binary and Transgender Student Concerns

Registrar and Title IX

Students can register their affirmed (preferred) names, which will appear on course rosters.

Restroom policy: All may use restrooms that are most consistent with their gender identity; campus maps include single-user and gender-neutral restrooms.

Compliance Concerns

Internal Audit Office

The University’s Internal Audit Office is a confidential channel, by phone and web-based, for employees to report or seek guidance on possible compliance and fraud issues.

It includes an option to report concerns anonymously.

Immigration Questions

Study Abroad Office and Office of Academic Affairs Personnel Specialist

International students and visiting professors and researchers should contact the Study Abroad Office for assistance.

The Office of Academic Affairs Personnel Specialist is the go-to resource for international full-time faculty.

Inclusive Teaching

Center for Teaching and Learning

The Center for Teaching and Learning offers resources, workshops and individualized consultation.

Health & Counseling

Student Well-Being

You can speak with the student, a student affairs administrator, or consult directly with student Health & Counseling Center.

Behavioral red flags may include repeatedly missing class, frequently being unprepared, and a noticeable decline in participation.

Faculty & Staff Well-Being

The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program, offered through ComPsych are available 24
hours a day, 7 days a week with free and confidential assistance.

Ombuds / Confidential Questions


The University Ombuds Office is a confidential place for faculty and students to discuss workplace and academic concerns, policies and procedures and many other issues.

Ombuds serve faculty and students and are not part of any formal University process.

Student Ombuds

Faculty Ombuds

Research Misconduct

Office of Research and Sponsored Programs

The University defines research misconduct, in accordance with federal policy, as any fabrication, falsification or plagiarism in proposing, performing or reviewing research or in the reporting of research results.

The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs is the place to go for concerns or questions, including hypothetical situations.

Student Health & Counseling After Hours Contacts

Faculty & Staff Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

Veterans, Active Military Service Members, & their Dependents

Veteran Services

The Office of the Registrar handles resources, policies and procedures for veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Transition Programs