Faculty Development Resources

Developing Courses and Course Activities

I. Funds for Curricular Enhancement (including field trips)

Academic Affairs endeavors to make funds available for activities that enhance learning in a course or for projects to develop new courses or curricular elements. Please complete the funding request form or contact your academic dean for details.

II. Service Learning Opportunities

Faculty interested in adding service learning to their classes can find information at the website for the Key Center for Community Engaged Learning.

Faculty Development Opportunities

I. Faculty Travel Funds

Academic department/program budgets include a travel allotment for each full-time faculty member. Chairs and program directors may exercise discretion in the actual allocation of dollars. Academic Affairs encourages departments/programs to work in a collaborative way to maximize effective use of these funds.

II. Funds for Scholarship/Creative Activity

Academic Affairs strives to provide support and funding for faculty to engage in scholarship and creative activities although the available funding changes yearly. Please contact your academic dean for more information about requesting funding for scholarship and creative activity.  The Faculty Development Funding Request is available on the forms page.

III. Professional Development Leave (formerly OCSA)

Faculty may request Professional Development Leave to pursue a significant piece of scholarship or creative work. Applications typically are due early in fall semester of the year preceding the planned leave year. For more information, please see Section 4.1.4 of the Faculty Handbook, and contact your academic dean.

IV. Center for Teaching and Learning

Faculty may participate in a variety of development activities through the Center. For information on current opportunities, visit the Center for Teaching and Learning website.

V. The University Research Council (URC)

The URC is charged with encouraging and facilitating faculty participation in research and creative activity. URC administers the annual Intramural Faculty Research Program funded by the UNCA Foundation. Contact the committee chair for more information.

VI. The University Teaching Council (UTC)

The UTC is charged with encouraging and facilitating improvements in teaching. Annual activities vary. Contact the committee chair for more information.